I hadn’t realized beforehand that this play was set in Japan. I only knew Nagasaki because of the atomic bomb. I’m not particularly drawn to Far Eastern culture, but the set alone was very simple and incredibly effective.
During the first act, a thunderstorm also rolled across the Allgäu in the background — with so much going on, you hardly knew where to look.
And yes, although there were a few slow stretches at the beginning, the ending featured a spectacular showdown, complete with a blazing fire (in that heat!) and the suicide of the female lead.
Children really shouldn’t be allowed to attend operas — that’s what makes the drama truly emotional...
And if they are allowed in, then perhaps dramas about fathers who have been estranged from their children should also be artistically explored from time to time, purely in the interests of fairness...

No comments:
Post a Comment